Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cribs

Here's a couple of shots of a room where I spend loads of time: the bathroom!
I thought it would be a good time to offer up a progress report on 'Operation 2009: Be less of a P*ssy'.
So far, I'm hanging in there with the daily push ups and core exercise. To round out the strength training I added this little beauty: chin up bar!



I don't know if you can tell from the pic but it's wider than the door frame so you can do wide grip pull ups as well as underhand grip chin ups. According to the packaging, you can do about 176 different exercises but to be honest there are grips in spots I can't imagine using.
As of this week, I'm doing 21 push ups, 16 v-sit ups, 6 wide grip pull ups and 6 underhand grip chin ups every day adding one to each every week. I'm the guy who started lifting the calf until he could pick up the bull!

This shot is for any spouses of endurance athletes who might be reading the blog. Yeah, it's not just their bathroom that has smelly ass clothes hanging in there all the time.


I got this idea from a friend of mine who used to write herself notes on the inside of her car window with a white board dry erase marker. I started doing the same thing on my bathroom mirror. I put in on the bathroom mirror so it's the first thing that I see in the morning and the last thing I see at night.
'No chain' is a phrase that I read in Lance Armstrong's book that he used to describe how he felt on great days on the bike. He felt like there was 'no chain' on the bike, it felt that easy. For me, the best way to feel good on the bike is to stay on the couch!



I'm also keeping track of the days that I have managed to get my push ups, sit ups and chin ups in. That's 55 hash marks. Every day in 2009. It's also the number of days since the last time I ate a piece of candy.

This last one is a reminder that I sign up for this crazy business of my own demented free will. No whining!

I'm adding inspirational/motivational/insightful quotes to the mirror as the year goes along. Any ideas?

9 comments:

kerrie said...

that is so cool! i am totally copying you and going to write all over the mirrors in our house...and the windows...anywhere the dry erase will work :)

you still haven't shown us the ab pics though!!!

Ward said...

Brilliant!!!

GZ said...

I have been writing on my mirror this year too. I put up a few little pieces of paper though ... checklists, a few life related sayings about compassion, and some pix ... totally Rocky.

Ryan D said...

dude.....

Jackson said...

Now that is a Blog Post!

If this was a blog version of cribs why didnt we see the fridge?

runninggunner said...

I agree with Jackson. But then we'd know your post was full of lies. As you fridge is filled with candy.

jameson said...

right on man... Beth want's me to steal the mirror thing from you... but we are going to use the whiteboard on our fridge... she want's me to tally all her days with fro-yo or baked goods... and yeah... I am the one keeping track. sweet.

down with candy!

FatDad said...

James, I wouldn't do it man! That road leads to trouble!

Professor, if you want an abs pic, I'm going to have to go get the whiteboard marker again. :)

Lucho said...

Nice.. keep it up! Try squat press-ups, it's the single best lift in the whole world, maybe even in the whole county. Or look in to some of the Javorek complex training stuff. It's awesome.