Saturday, June 21, 2008

Weekly Recap June 15-21

43.26 miles
Average HR 145
6 1/4 hours
Longest run 9.61 miles
Shortest run 4.95
Average run 7.21 miles

Felt great overall this week and really good about getting the mileage up and not missing any of my scheduled workouts. As well, a slow steady progression has kept me from getting injured which is massive!
The protocol that I am using from Hadd's paper has three progressively longer weeks to get his subject ( named Giuseppe, awesome name!) up to 80 miles a week assuming that he was already at about 50 miles. I had been closer to 35 or so when I ran Vancouver. I told myself that I would not advance to the next 'step' until I had two weeks back to back without missing a workout. This is week number 2 without dropping a set so I'm ramping it up a little starting next week. The frequency and intensity will stay roughly the same but the 45 minute runs get dropped off and replaced with some 60 minute sessions and the long run gets a little longer. I'll post the exact set after tomorrow's long run.
Two things have been on my mind this week with regards to training. First, I have been starting to think about when (if?) I need to switch over from solely doing MAF based training and start adding some speed/tempo work to prepare to race. I might email Lucho to see if he has any advice on this matter. Part of me thinks that if my fitness level isn't to a place where I am capable of hitting 3:10 that I shouldn't race until it is. And I'm scared to hear that from someone else having focused so much energy around training for Seattle in November.
And that brings me to the other thing that I've been spending a lot of time thinking about this week. For the first time in my streaky history as a runner, I feel like I 'own' my goals. I'm not running to look good for a girl, or to impress my run club buddies, or to brag about it at work, All I care about is getting faster and not quitting on myself. It finally matters more what I think about my training than what anyone else does. And when the alarm goes off at 4:45AM, that's what's been getting me out of bed. I don't know when it happened but I do know that from here on out that's what will make all the difference.

1 comment:

runninggunner said...

Nice work on the week. Good work not increasing the mileage too quick. Definitely my problem earlier.